Do you want to create an immersive photography experience with your website? Sell your photos to people from all over the world? Connect your WordPress site to Instagram and Pinterest to build deeper connections with people who love your art? If you answered any of these questions with a ‘yes’, you need to explore the best WordPress photography plugins.
This guide will explore eight of the best WordPress photography plugins and how they can help you make a better WordPress photography website.
Eight best WordPress photography plugins
Optimole is a freemium plugin that makes it easy for you to optimize images for loading speed and to automate the optimization of images you upload in the future. In addition to compressing and resizing your images, Optimole can also dynamically serve adaptive images based on each visitor’s screen size for best results. Better yet, Optimole delivers these images via the Amazon CloudFront content delivery network (CDN).
- Automatically compress and resize images
- Dynamically serve optimized images based on a visitor’s screen size
- Serve images via the Amazon CloudFront CDN
- Crop images with smart cropping
- Automatically add a watermark to images to prevent image theft
Optimole is free for up to 5K monthly visitors. The free plan includes the Amazon CloudFront CDN, which makes Optimole a great free CDN for WordPress.
Optimole also offers two premium plans:
- Personal plan for $9/month (25,000 monthly visitors)
- Business plan for $29/month (prices based on annual payment)
If neither of these plans suits your needs, you can opt for a custom plan with unique features and pricing.
2. Instant Images
Instant Images allows you to move images and even entire albums from Unsplash to your own WordPress site with a single click. This makes it easy for you to find and upload quality stock photography for every article, without leaving your WordPress dashboard.
- One-click image upload
- Edit image metadata before uploading
- Image prototyping
100% free from WordPress.org.
3. Smash Balloon Social Photo Feed
Smash Balloon Social Photo Feed is a plugin that makes it easy for you to display your Instagram feed on your WordPress site. You can even display photos from multiple Instagram feeds.
This plugin was previously named “Instagram Feed” before a trademark claim forced them to rebrand it.
- Easy setup
- Display multiple Instagram feeds, either on one page or across multiple pages
- Built-in shortcode options for customization
Free from WordPress.org or $49 for the premium version of this plugin for a single website.
If you own multiple websites you can pay $89 to license the plugin for use on 5 websites, or choose the Developer plan at $189 for unlimited licenses.
4. Pinterest Pin It Button for Images
Pinterest Pin It Button for Images is a simple plugin that automatically adds the “Pin It” button to individual images on your blog. When visitors hover over your images, the button will appear, making it easy for them to share your spectacular photos on Pinterest.
- Choose what images to add the “Pin It” button to
- Automatically exclude certain classes of images
- Customize the appearance of the “Pin It” button
100% free from WordPress.org.
5. Regenerate Thumbnails
The Regenerate Thumbnails plugin makes it easy to regenerate thumbnail sizes for images in your Media Library. This is useful if you’ve switched to a new theme with different thumbnail sizes, if you have customized thumbnail sizes, or if a new thumbnail size has been added to the existing theme on your website.
It can also help you serve scaled images.
- Select specific images to regenerate thumbnails for or choose to regenerate thumbnails for everything in your Media Library
- Delete old, unused thumbnails to free up server space
100% free from WordPress.org.
6. WooCommerce Photography
WooCommerce Photography is a premium extension for the WooCommerce plugin that allows you to sell your photography directly from your WordPress site. You will need to install the base plugin on your site in order for WooCommerce Photography to work, so this option will allow you to sell other related products as well.
- Batch uploader
- Intuitive browsing experience
- WooCommerce shopping cart technology
Price: $79 to license the extension for one site, $129 to license the extension for five sites, or $179 to license the extension for use on 25 sites. Purchase here.
7. Envira Gallery
Current Version: 22.214.171.124
Last Updated: December 6, 2019
The Envira Gallery plugin offers a drag-and-drop builder that allows you to create the perfect online photo gallery. You can choose to use one of their gallery templates or to create something completely unique to display your work. There are also a variety of add-ons, including a WooCommerce add-on that makes it possible to sell your work.
You can see how Envira Gallery stacks up to other options in our WordPress gallery plugin comparison.
- Wide variety of custom album templates
- Drag-and-drop builder for custom albums
- Supersize lightbox images
- Standalone galleries (not tied to your website)
- Add-ons to create albums, embed videos, watermark your work, and more
Envira Gallery offers a basic free option at WordPress.org.
After that, Envira Gallery offers three main plans:
- Basic – $29
- Plus – 69 for additional functionality and three site licenses,
- Pro -$99 for even more features and 25 site licenses.
They also offer an agency plan for $299, which offers unlimited site licenses and a variety of account management tools.
Current Version: 2.5.7
Last Updated: October 24, 2019
Soliloquy is a WordPress slider plugin from the same developer as Envira Gallery that makes it easy to create aesthetically pleasing image and video sliders, allowing you to display the full range of your work on a single page.
- Pre-built slider templates
- Drag-and-drop builder for custom sliders
- Lightbox sliders
- Carousel tool
- Scheduling tool
- WooCommerce compatibility
- Customizable CSS
Soliloquy offers a basic free version at WordPress.org.
After there, there are three paid plans:
- Personal – $19 for one site license
- Multi – $49 for advanced functionality and three site licenses.
- Developer – $99 for up to 25 sites and more advanced features
There’s also an Agency plan at $249 for unlimited sites and a variety of account management tools.
How to choose the best WordPress photography plugins
All of these plugins are built for photographers, but they serve wildly different purposes. Amateur photographers focused on building a social media following might want to stick with the free plugins on this list, like Optimole and Smash Balloon Social Photo Feed.
Professional photographers, on the other hand, may want to invest in the premium versions of some of the plugins, like Envira Gallery and Soliloquy.
Finally, if you’re still in the planning stages for your photography site, check out our post on how to make a photography website.
And once you start adding images to your site, it’s imperative that you optimize them to make your site load fast. While Optimole can do a lot of the heavy lifting for you, you’ll still want to learn about image optimization in WordPress. And if you’re going to be uploading a lot of images, you might want to put protocols in place to organize your WordPress Media Library.
Do you have any questions about which are the best WordPress photography plugins for your needs? Let us know in the comments! Or, if you found a great plugin that wasn’t on this list, we’d love it if you shared that, too.