Is your WordPress website lagging behind in features? Do you want your site to bring more value to both you and its user base? If so, consider installing a couple of plugins. What is a WordPress plugin? It’s a software extension that is not only useful but also easy to incorporate into your online platform.
With over 60,000 free plugins in the WordPress directory, you’re sure to find a few that will fit your needs. Read on to find out how you can install, update, and remove plugins from your website.
What is a WordPress plugin? 🔌
Moreover, these plugins are easily accessible in the WordPress plugin directory. There are free plugins that provide general or basic improvements, as well as premium or paid options that are more advanced and get better software support.
👉 Here’s our list of the most interesting and best WordPress plugins out there.
How to install a WordPress plugin 🖱️
Aside from knowing what a WordPress plugin is, you have to know how to install one from the WordPress directory.
- First, go to the sidebar menu in the WordPress dashboard and select Plugins.
- Then, click the Add New button at the top of the interface. You’ll be redirected to a page with a search box labeled Search Plugins.
- Type either the full or partial name of your desired plugin in the search box, and then press the enter key. A list of plugins will appear.
- Once you find the one you need, click the Install Now button at the upper right side of the listed plugin.
- After it finishes installing, click Activate, and that’s it.
You can now use the plugin and the new features it provides!
How to update plugins in WordPress 📥
It’s advisable to regularly update your plugins to have access to newer features and avoid glitches or errors.
The first thing you should do is back up your website so that you can recover any lost data or settings if something goes wrong. There are WordPress plugins that offer system backups, so you can install and use any of these.
Once that’s done, go to your WordPress dashboard and click on the Plugins icon on the sidebar menu. All your installed plugins will be listed, and there will be an update link for every outdated extension. Click those links, and just wait for the updates to finish downloading and installing.
How to remove a WordPress plugin 🗑️
If a plugin doesn’t meet your standards, you can quickly uninstall it.
- Begin by selecting Plugins from the sidebar menu to see the list of installed plugins.
- Then, if the extension is active, make sure to click Deactivate the plugin first.
- Click the Delete button next to the plugin you want to uninstall.
WordPress will ask for your confirmation. Just press OK, and the system will remove the plugin from your website.
Conclusion on what is a WordPress plugin 🧐
WordPress plugins are great tools that can add utility to your website. They’re also easy to add, update, and remove. Unlock your WordPress website’s true potential by adding a plugin or two!