If you’ve ever wondered how to find the RSS feed of a website, then this guide will come in handy!
RSS feeds are a great way to stay on top of the latest news from blogs, websites, and social media. These online files are an excellent source of information that can inspire you to create relevant content for your audience.
But that’s not all: you can add RSS feeds to your site to keep your readers up to date with the hottest news and stories online.
In this article, we’ll introduce you to RSS feeds and how you can find them for different websites. Read on to discover what they are, what they look like, and how to locate them for your favorite sites.
Let’s get started!
What is an RSS feed, and what does it look like?
An RSS feed is a file that contains some or all of a publisher’s latest content. For example, a blog’s RSS feed would be a collection of its latest posts and a podcast’s RSS feed would be a list of its latest episodes.
These feeds use a standardized, computer-readable format that makes it easy for readers or other applications to access content. For example, most podcast apps work by fetching the RSS feed from the podcast.
The feed typically includes the content itself, as well as additional metadata about that content (such as its publish date).
Here’s an example of what an RSS feed for a blog might look like:
How to find the RSS feed of a website: Four different methods
These are the four easiest ways to find the RSS feed URL of any website on the internet:
- Check the source code
- Add ‘/feed/’ to the end of a WordPress website’s URL
- Use a browser extension
- Generate your own RSS feeds
Check the source code
The expression “source code” sounds intimidating, right? Well, the reality is you don’t need to be a developer to check the source code of a website.
This method is straightforward. Follow these steps to look for the RSS feed URL of any site:
2. Right-click the screen and click View Page Source:
Your screen should display the site’s source code:
3. Click Command+F (on Mac) or Control+F (on Windows) to enable the “Find” feature in your browser. Search for “RSS” in the search bar:
4. Once you search for this term, you’ll find a line of code that says:
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="DomainWheel » Feed" href="https://domainwheel.com/feed/" />
5. Find the RSS feed URL after href= in quotation marks. In this case, it’s
Add ‘/feed/’ to the end of a WordPress website’s URL
A simple way of knowing a site’s RSS feed URL is by adding the suffix /feed/ at the end of the URL address.
Before putting it into practice, keep in mind that this method only works with WordPress websites.
Let’s try it with the Themeisle blog:
1. Go to the website. In our case, https://themeisle.com/blog/.
2. Add /feed/ at the end of the URL address. Next, press Enter:
3. If you see the RSS feed in XML format, similar to the one in the image below, you’re all set! This piece of code contains the title, description, and link for each post on the site:
4. ⚠ Important: before assuming that the RSS feed URL of a WordPress site follows the structure https://example.com/feed/, complete the steps described above. It’s always better to double-check the URL to avoid displaying broken, or incorrect RSS feeds on your website.
What if you want to find the RSS feed URL of a non-WordPress website? For this purpose, you can add the suffix /rss/ at the end of the site’s URL address.
Use a browser extension
For another method for how to find the RSS feed of a website, you can turn to the help of a Chrome browser extension.
This RSS reader is a popular Google Chrome extension that’s very easy to use and comes with everything you need to search for RSS feed URLs.
Check the RSS feed URL of any site with Feedbro in three steps:
1. Once you’ve installed the extension to your browser, click on Feedbro’s icon:
2. Go to Find Feeds in Current Tab and click the rss button of the feed you want to see:
3. Voilà! You just found the RSS feed URL you were looking for:
You can search for RSS readers in other browser stores if you don’t use Chrome as your go-to browser. Search for the keyword “RSS reader” in the Mozilla Firefox add-ons or Opera add-ons store and choose a tool from the results list.
Generate your own RSS feeds
Most websites offer RSS feeds, but not all allow users to access them easily. The days when news sites and blogs shared their feeds with the iconic orange RSS icon are long gone.
Fortunately, there are tools you can use to generate RSS feeds from almost any site. RSS.app is one of them.
To start creating RSS feeds with RSS.app, take on these steps:
1. Sign up for RSS.app.
2. Write a site’s URL in the search bar and press Generate:
3. See the feed preview. Next, click Save Feed:
4. Your feed is ready! 😎 Now, you can copy the RSS feed URL and add it to your site:
After you sign up for RSS.app, you get access to a free seven-day trial (no credit card required). During this week, you can generate up to ten feeds.
When the trial ends, you have the option to subscribe to a paid plan starting at $8.32 per month (annual billing).
Because this one costs money, it’s probably a last resort when it comes to how to find the RSS feed of a website.
How to display an external RSS feed on my WordPress site?
So far we’ve talked about how to find the RSS feed of a website. But what can you actually do with that RSS feed, beyond subscribing to it in your favorite reader?
Well, if you’ve created a website with WordPress, you can use the Feedzy plugin to feature external feeds on your WordPress site:
With our plugin, you can pick the best content online, add it to your site and improve your content curation strategy.
There are many reasons to love Feedzy:
- Import RSS feeds into WordPress posts.
- Add affiliate links to your site and automate your affiliate business.
- Rephrase or translate your content automatically with the Article Spinner integration.
Now that you know how to find the RSS feed of a website, Feedzy can unlock all sorts of cool ways to use that RSS feed content on your own site.
Feedzy is a freemium content curation tool. The free version is available at WordPress.org and then the paid plans start at $99 per year. For more information, go to the Feedzy pricing page.
How can I create an RSS feed for my WordPress site?
As a site owner, you should promote your content by sharing an RSS feed with your audience. This way, they can constantly receive updates on your latest content, stories, or business releases.
If you have a WordPress site, you can find your RSS feed URL by adding
/feed/ to the end of your website’s URL.
But what if you want to target a specific audience and build a personalized feed? Then, you need to generate a custom RSS feed.
Read our guide on creating a custom RSS feed in WordPress to understand the process better. Be aware that you’ll need to be comfortable working with code, or at least willing to learn about it, to set up your feeds.
Final thoughts 🏁
If you’ve read this far, congratulations! You already know how to find the RSS feed of a website in just a few easy-to-follow steps.
Now that you’ve learned how to find the RSS feed URL of (almost) any website, you can use it to promote your content and stay informed about the latest developments in your industry.
🔎 To get deeper insights on the topic, consider reading these articles on RSS feeds:
Do you still have any questions about how to find the RSS feed of a website? Let us know in the comments!