We’ve been busy since our recent launch of Hestia, an awesome material design theme. While Hestia was an all-purpose business theme, we’ve gone niche with Belise, our newest addition to the ThemeIsle shop. The Belise WordPress theme is focused on restaurants, bars, and other food-related business. It’s our first foray into the niche, and we’re excited to show you everything that this theme can do.
In this post, you’ll learn more about the theme’s functionality as well as get a peek at some behind the scenes stories and thoughts from our talented development team.
What is Belise and who did we build it for?
In a nutshell, Belise is a premium WordPress theme for restaurants, bistros, pubs, cafes, tea houses…anything related to food and drink! It has a minimalist and welcoming design, with white and beige color accents. The layout and the overall appearance are elegant and allow you to put the focus on your beautiful food and drinks.
With Belise, you can show people your best food via beautiful photo galleries or the portfolio section, keep your customers up to date about upcoming events, allow customers to book tables online, and display your offerings in a clean and simple menu.
When it comes to its design, the theme provides a full-width header with a reservation button, classy photo galleries, opening and closing hours presented in a nice table, a beautiful events list, a full-width call-to-action ribbon, and a great online store for those who want to take orders online.
You can purchase Belise directly from our theme shop for $99, which also includes all of the other 20+ premium themes we’ve created.
Why and how we built Belise
Belise is ThemeIsle’s first attempt to build something oriented towards restaurant owners, while also remaining flexible enough that it can be adapted for other uses as well (more on this later!).
The idea behind Belise
Originally born from our CEO’s idea of tackling a new niche for the ThemeIsle store, Belise is the result of four months of work from our development team. Everyone worked to make Belise a success, with Bogdan Popa heading up the overall coding process.
It’s worth mentioning that this theme is Bogdan’s first project since he joined ThemeIsle back in October last year, and he did an awesome job. We are all proud of the end product from Bogdan and the rest of the team.
So, we’d love to wish hearty congratulations to Bogdan for his first live WordPress theme since coming on board. He shared with me that he enjoyed working on this theme so much because he learned many new concepts during Belise’s development.
One interesting approach Bogdan brought to Belise was to use a Jetpack module called Nova Menu for the food menu, a tool that’s not very popular among the WordPress theme developers. It is actually used by one single theme (ours being the second) and he didn’t have any documentation available when he developed that particular section. So he took the module and made it match the overall theme’s design. The result? Pure awesomeness. Here’s Bogdan:
Jetpack’s Nova Menu seemed like a viable choice because it matched Belise’s design very well and it looked great too. So I customized and adjusted it a bit and you saw how it went eventually.
Behind the scenes of our name choice
You may notice a similarity between Belise the theme and the country of Belize. That’s no coincidence! We recently came across Belize’s diverse and attractive food culture and thought the name will match our theme’s purpose perfectly.
What’s more is that Belize’s shore line is edged by the Caribbean Sea (and since we are the WordPress pirates…you connect the dots).
Here’s Wiki’s word on Belizean cuisine:
Belizean cuisine is an amalgamation of all ethnicity in the nation, and their respectively wide variety of foods. It might best be described as both similar to Mexican/Central American cuisine and Jamaican/Anglo-Caribbean cuisine.
Of course, we didn’t have the chance to experiment with the traditional food of Belize, nor have we ever tasted any of their recipes. But the idea of such diversity seemed close to what we were trying to achieve in the first place, which is why we went with it for the name.
Apart from being available here at ThemeIsle, Belise is also live on ThemeForest, from where you can download it by itself for just $49. So, if you prefer to only buy Belise without the entire package that contains all of our premium WordPress themes, you can download it from ThemeForest instead.
Let’s dig a bit into Belise’s core to see all of the great features that come packaged with it.
- Responsive design. Obviously. 🙂
- Elegant portfolio via Jetpack. The portfolio comes in handy whenever you want to showcase your products – dishes, drinks, whatnots. The portfolio works with the help of the Jetpack plugin.
- Food menu integrated via Jetpack. If you’re building a restaurant website then showing the menu is an absolute must, no two words about it. The menu page in Belise is clean and minimal, which lets you put your dishes first and foremost. The menu itself works via the Jetpack plugin and its Nova Menu module.
- Events section via the Events Organizer plugin. If your restaurant or pub hosts events of any kind (music, contests, art galleries, etc.) then you will surely enjoy the possibility to showcase these events with Belise. This is achieved via the Events Organizer plugin.
- WooCommerce ready. Maybe you don’t want to just serve food at the table but also take orders for home delivery or sell other products altogether. Since Belise is 100% WooCommerce friendly, that’s easy to do.
- Custom colors. You probably want your site to match your brand’s colors. Don’t worry! We brought you unlimited color options, so feel free to mix/combine them the way you like – no restrictions at all.
- Live customizer supported. Any change you make can be observed in real time, without leaving the customization page. No guesswork involved when customizing your website.
- Intuitive contact form via the Pirate Forms plugin. Offer your clients a simple and quick way to contact you. For a restaurant, customer feedback is essential to improving your service. We integrated our Pirate Forms plugin with Belise’s design to create a gorgeous contact page.
- Translation ready. Belise can be translated into any language, so you’re never limited to just English.
- Custom backgrounds. Change your site’s background to a custom color or image from your computer. It’s all up to you what your site looks like in the end.
A multipurpose WordPress theme
Even though we’ve built Belise specifically for restaurants, it’s by no means limited to that use. Belise has a multipurpose design and provides all the features that you’d expect in a multipurpose WordPress theme. Our primary goal is always to build a product to meet all of our customers’ needs and give them the flexibility needed to create a gorgeous site.
Bogdan emphasized this aspect himself:
Belise is a theme that we present as a restaurant theme, and we did build it with this aspect in mind, but it can be adapted for any other purpose due to its great flexibility and the broad look of its interface.
If you customize it, it works for almost anything. Feel free to use Belise for music bands, festivals, online shops, resume and portfolio sites, or businesses like startups or creative agencies. Or anywhere else your imagination takes you!
Sites that use Belise
Here are some examples of early uses of Belise by our customers:
Check out the free version of Belise
If you like Belise, but you don’t have much of a budget to invest in your next theme, we’ve got some great news: there’s also a free version of it available: Belise Lite.
And guess what? It is nearly as feature-rich as the premium theme. We want you to get the most out of Belise, no matter what your budget is.
What’s next for Belise?
New restaurant modules and plugins
On a different note, we are planning to improve Belise even more by adding more plugins, modules, and elements that will make the theme even better for restaurant websites using WordPress. We haven’t set a deadline for this yet, but it’s in our plans for the near future.
And that concludes our introduction of Belise, the most recent theme in the ThemeIsle family. We would be more than happy if you’d take a look and shared your thoughts with us. Also, stay tuned for even more news and releases that are on the way.